Depending on the volume of applications, this position may close to external applicants before the job posting end date expires.
About the Company
Becoming the leading energy company in Louisiana - helping our people and state thrive - means being mindful of the larger opportunities and evolving needs of all those we serve. So today at Cleco, we’re working from a view that starts behind the lines. Where we can see the full picture of possibilities and technologies. To line up our customers and communities with systems and services that power the good life today. And better lives tomorrow. We’ve always believed that electricity is something more than just electrons. To us, it’s the fuel for more productive days and work. The current that brings all of us closer together. The conduit that connects Louisiana’s present to Louisiana’s future.
We are seeking a highly-qualified Engineer to take responsibility for planning maintenance and emergency restoration activities for transmission and distribution substations. The Transmission Reliability Operations Engineer is the ideal position for a highly organized engineer who enjoys solving challenging problems with immediate results. In this role, you will assess, plan, resource and direct the capital and emergency repairs of the assets. You will be working at project sites throughout Louisiana, overseeing projects and providing critical feedback necessary for the long-term optimization of these assets.
- Provide technical execution of defined activities to support the delivery of transmission maintenance and restoration strategies required to achieve efficiency, effectiveness, and innovation objectives.
- Facilitate the restoration of transmission facilities damaged by severe weather and other causes.
- Follow regulatory and compliance environment, such as NERC and NESC
- Take and release clearances from the Cleco Transmission Operations Center (CTOC) or Distribution Operations Center (DOC) while coordinating work activities. Anticipate switching requirements and emergency clearance releases.
- Utilize transmission reliability operation standards, procedures, and processes, providing recommendations for process improvements, as necessary.
- Inspect, prioritize, plan, direct, and document maintenance activities to avoid unexpected outages on the electrical system.
- Provide oversight to contractors and crews completing transmission restoration services.
- Ensure projects are completed on-time and within specified budget.
- Action Oriented - Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm. Initiates timely action to address important issues. Moves quickly to seize opportunities. Takes on difficult challenges without procrastinating. Takes action to resolve problems when they arise.
- Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. Keeps others informed. Listens attentively to others’ insights, advice, and instruction. Responds openly to others. Speaks with an appropriate amount of detail.
- Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Demonstrates a strong drive to achieve meaningful results. Drives tasks to successful completion and closure. Shows determination in the face of obstacles and setbacks. Sets high standards for own performance.
- Ensures accountability - Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments. Monitors progress of performance and changes approach accordingly. Takes ownership of own work. Takes responsibility for successes and failures in own work. Follows through on commitments.
- Plans and aligns - Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals. Aligns own work plans and priorities with those of other units. Balances the need for adequate planning with the need for action. Creates a realistic time line with steps outlined in the right sequence. Anticipates and minimizes bottlenecks or delays.
- Resourcefulness - Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently. Minimizes the waste of available resources. Coordinates multiple priorities and activities to accomplish goals. Identifies and obtains the resources (e.g., funding, equipment, support) needed to accomplish assignments. Finds ways to get work done within limited resources.
- Safety - Demonstrates responsibility and accountability to work safely. Proactively takes the initiative to identify existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working condition which are hazardous. Takes prompt corrective measure to eliminate and or mitigate them.
- Analytical skills – Provide technical guidance when required on supporting research schedules using appropriate analytical processes and procedures.
- Compliance – Work to achieve full compliance with applicable rules and regulations in management and/or operations.
- Equipment Utilization – Work with guidance (but not constant supervision) to optimize the utilization of transmission equipment and materials.
- Transmission Operations – Work with guidance (but not constant supervision) to ensure that projects and construction are completed on time, within budget and meet all necessary standards.
- Transmission Operations Quality – Work with guidance (but not constant supervision) to ensure that all transmission maintenance and restoration operations generate high-quality results.
- Transmission Operations Resource Management – Work with guidance (but not constant supervision) to manage and deploy material, people and financial resources efficiently and effectively to produce desired results.
- Transmission Operations Risk Management – Work with guidance (but not constant supervision) to identify, assess, prioritize and manage risks in the Transmission Reliability process.
Qualifications / Progression
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering from an ABET approved curriculum
- 3+ years of related experience
- Step progression levels based on skill proficiency and scope of job
- FE Certification preferred
- SAP and AutoCAD preferred